Friday, September 28, 2007

Silent Pictures Are Full of Sound


As I write this, my newphew is eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in front of me. He is wiping his hands all over me. His hands are covered in peanut butter and bits of jelly. My niece is here as well. She is coming up to me and stopping with her big smile. Her mouth is full of choclate chip cookies. I came home a few minutes ago from some retreat packing...Reese up and obviously tired. Laura said she wouldn't go to sleep. She cried till she came out and played with her cousins. Funny girl.


"Slow down everyone your moving to fast. Frames can't get you when your moving like that." -Jack Johnson


After every summer I always have this big notion that 'things are going to slow down for a bit!' Wrong. I'm probably less busy, but I feel like things have not slowed down. With the exception of Galveston, everything has been moving 90mph. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy what I do and love every minute of everything I do with the youth group or with my family. But...slowing down is important. I've realized even more this summer that I have to be much more intentional about slowing everything down.


Why slow down? Everything around us is fast and has been built to be done, given or completed fast. I taught a high school class a few weeks about creation. Something that always sticks out to me is that God slowed down. He created. He made. He rested. Wow. To me, slowing down means balancing my time with Laura, Reese and family. To me, slowing down requires taking time to sit still, in silence before God. To me, slowing down is taking a deep breath, concetrating on stillness and moving forward.


In the middle of ministry. In the middle of family. In the middle of marriage. Slow down.

No comments: