Saturday, February 2, 2008

President's Month


I enjoy history. Particularly I enjoy Presidential history. February [the greatest month all year in my opinion] has three Presidential birthdays. I share one with a President. February 5th is Ronal Regan's, February 12th is Abraham Lincoln's and February 22nd is George Washington's.

For years [you can ask my family] I have declared February "President's Month." Why? I'm weird.

Did you know...John Hanson was the first President of the United States?

Really. During the years of the Revolutionary war, the newly formed government, under the Articles of Confederation [our first constitution] elected John Hanson as President.

Did you know...after George Washington was inaugurated, the Senate took a month debating how to refer to the President?

There were strong feelings that the President should be referred to as something more than 'President.' In fact, the favorite of George Washington himself was "His High Mightiness." To avoid further debate, the topic was dropped and "Mr. President" stuck.

I find things like this fascinating. You may not. Sorry. I'll dab my blog with things like this all month in celebration of "President's Month." I will also have a couple more videos of my little girl that has nothing to do with Presidents.....yet.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Your right. George Washington was the president who presided over the Contiental Congress. But when the first constition was approved...a President was elected. He by no stretch had the same powers as even GW, but he was the President.