Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A New Travis

Much has gone on in my life since I last posted. I will sum things up and try to do a better job of posting. I don't want to post frequently for the reader, my goal is to write for myself. If you read, thanks and I hope you enjoy a sneak peek into TravisLand.

I'm no longer a youth minister. It's a weird feeling, especially in these last few days. Pleasant Ridge announced Sunday their new youth minister, so I think it has become even more surreal knowing who is following me and taking 'my' teens.

Don't get me wrong, the decision to leave and enter into a new ministry was the absolute best decision for so many reasons, the biggest of which was God's guidance and leading here. But, my entire adult life and ministry had been youth ministry and those teens at Pleasant Ridge. I love them dearly.

However, I write now as a preacher. I saw the look of shock on your face when I said that. I've been a preacher now for a month. I love it. I enjoy the study, the prep and the speaking. I love our church. I love the people. I love how my family loves this place, the people and church.

The greatest thing in my short time here has to be the increased time I get to spend with my girls. I'm home. I'm home a lot and it's wonderful. Just like any ministry, I've been called out late at night and unexpectedly, but for the most part I'm home at night for dinner, I'm home on the weekends and I get to enjoy most of a Sunday with my family. Wonder.Ful.

TravisLand looks different now. Different is good. When I think back to the last few months, I am more convinced of God's leading hand to bring us to this place. The tears shed. The fear realized. The good-byes. They have all been part of this move, the journey to where we sit now. TravisLand is different now. The "big kids" are not around as much, but daddy is. The non-stop city life is gone, but amazing time with my family is. The stress of the office is gone, but stress of effectively sharing God's Word is. The time in the youth area is gone, but quality time with my beautiful wife is. Yeap, TravisLand is different, but a good different.

Photobucket

No comments: